By Kyla Eaglesham
Yield 24 cakes
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups icing sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp citrus zest, finely grated
1 tbsp icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Sift flour; set aside.
- Sift icing sugar, set aside.
- Combine eggs and sifted sugar in a bowl.
- Place bowl over a simmering saucepan and whisk until thick and pale yellow, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and continue whisking until mixture cools slightly and increases in volume.
- Fold in butter and flour alternately.
- Fold in citrus zest.
- Carefully spoon mixture into lightly greased and floured madeleine pans.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden in colour and springs back when touched.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with tea.