The fresh flavour of frisée stands up well to the crispy pancetta, pistachios and cranberry vinaigrette.
By The Canadian Living Test Kitchen
1/2 cup (125 mL) pistachio nuts, shelled
4 oz. (113 g) pancetta or lean bacon, cut into 1/4-in. (5-mm) thick slices
10 cups (2.4 L) baby frisée greens
1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
1/4 cup (50 mL) cranberry cocktail
1 tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
2 tsp (10 mL) shallots or red onions, finely chopped
1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
1 tsp (5 mL) maple syrup or granulated sugar
1 pinch salt
1 pinch pepper
2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- In bowl, whisk together cranberry cocktail, vinegar, shallot, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper; slowly whisk in oil. (Make ahead: Cover and refrigerate dressing for up to 1 day; whisk before using.)
- Spread pistachios on baking sheet; toast in oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until fragrant; let cool. Coarsely chop and set aside. (Make ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 3 days.)
- In large skillet, cook pancetta for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp; transfer to paper towels to drain. Crumble into small pieces.
- In large salad bowl, toss baby frisée greens with cranberry vinaigrette. Add pistachios and cranberries; toss again. Sprinkle with pancetta.
Kary Osmond loves being the face of CBC's successful daily cooking show Best Recipes Ever. She is the ambassador of back-to-basics food every afternoon, teaching Canadians coast-to-coast how to prepare the very best of Canadian Living's renowned recipe library, one Tested Till Perfect recipe at a time.