By Kyla Eaglesham
454 g butter, at room temperature
454 g icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla (or your favourite liqueur)
Paste food colouring* (optional)
- Combine butter and icing sugar slowly in a mixer on low speed using the paddle attachment.
- Add flavouring and colour (if using).
- Increase speed to medium and blend for 3 to 4 minutes until completely blended and light and fluffy in texture.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Refrigerate to store for up to 1 week. (Note: Pipe icing at room temperature.)
* To make dark colours, such as red, use powder colouring, which is available at a specialty baking shops. Prepare colours a couple of days in advance to allow the pigment to darken.