Pomegranates pack a powerful nutritional punch. Not only are the seeds full of calcium and phosphorous, but they also help fight aging. Pomegranate juice is extremely potent as well, with three times the antioxidants of red wine or green tea. The only problem? They're notoriously messy and hard to handle.
Heed these four quick tips to help you squeeze the most out of pomegranates.
1. Get the seeds out—simply!
Last season we showed you a great little gadget for removing pomegranate seeds. No gadget? No problem. Cut the pomegranate in half and place seed-side down in your palm. Hold over a bowl. Tap top of pomegranate with a large slotted spoon. The seeds will fall out through your fingers, into bowl.
2. Say "freeze!"
Did you know you can freeze your pomegranate seeds for up to two months? Simply lay seeds out to dry on a paper towel for a couple of hours; place in a resealable glass container and freeze.
3. Pomegranate, meet chocolate.
Turns out chocolate and pomegranate seeds are a match made in heaven. But beware: This recipe is extremely addictive. The staff here at Steven and Chris couldn't get enough!
1) Lay seeds out to dry on a paper towel for a couple of hours.
2) Line a cookie sheet with wax paper. (Make sure sheet will fit in your fridge!)
3) Melt 12 oz. of your favourite dark chocolate in the microwave on medium high. Stir until smooth.
4) Fold two pomegranates worth of seeds into the chocolate.
5) Spoon clumps of mixture onto cookie sheet.
6) Refrigerate overnight—if you can wait that long! The bark will keep up to four days in the fridge.
4. Get juicy.
This edition's winning Vileda Quick Kitchen Tip for juicing pomegranates (mess-free!) comes from viewer Diane Rogers of Hammer, Ont.:
1) Place pomegranate seeds in a potato ricer.
2) Put the ricer in a resealable baggie and close the bag as much as possible.
3) Squeeze the seeds in the ricer so the juice flows into the bag.
4) Remove ricer from bag, discard seeds and pour juice into a jar. Enjoy!
Share Your Tip to Win!
Do you have a quick kitchen tip to share with us? Let us know what it is for a chance to get your tip mentioned on-air, plus $500 and a prize pack from Vileda!