Style at Home
Editor Erin McLaughlin took us in a tour of two beautiful little girls' bedrooms designed by Montana Burnett.
Photos courtesy of Style at Home
magazine.Mackenzie's Bedroom (Beachy):
Evoking the feel of sky and surf, this room had a fresh, new take on the "beach theme" with light blue walls and white crown molding. A mix of pinks, fur, tulle, florals and stripes keep the look girly and young.
What Erin Loved:
Halle's Bedroom (Hollywood Glam):
- The beachy vibe can be seen in the drapery pattern, sea blue walls and shell chandelier.
- The light grey shelving was made from beach wood and stocked with baskets for extra storage.
- The bed, desk and chair were inherited from Mackenzie's older sister and were revamped with a coat of creamy pale yellow paint.
- Punches of fun and color are in a striped runner layered over sisal carpet, suede magenta side tables with nail-head trim, giant faux-fur pouffs at the foot of the bed and ballet tutu bed skirt.
Bright and vibrant with plenty of ethnic and exotic hits - shown in furniture choices (chinoiserie pagoda cabinet) patterns (zigzag rug, African-motif curtains and slipper chair) and white, brown and red colour scheme.
What Erin Loved:
Erin McLaughlin's Tips:
- The four poster bed lacquered in pale lavender with sand-colored curtains in a light brown African print. The piece de resistance here is the chandelier that hangs inside the bed.
- The white leather bench with lucite legs.
- A Pagoda-style cream and salmon armoir holds Halle's collection of snow globes!
- There is a great mix of colors and patterns like the pinky striped pillows and zig-zag carpet.
- Mid-century modern night side tables tie in well with the pale wood floor.
- The room isn't huge but there is tons of storage in the baskets under the bed.
Where to get itMontana Burnett DesignMackenzie's Room (Beachy)
- Design kids rooms that can actually grow with your child (rather than ones that they constantly outgrow).
- Keep rooms playful yet sophisticated by avoiding kitschy princess paraphernalia and cartoon characters.
- Kids bedrooms should reflect the child's personality and taste - encourage them to participate in the design choices and process!
Capiz Shell, Universal Lamp
Blue Bayou 801, Benjamin Moore
Cover Up P5057-24, Para Paints
Bedside tablesPottery Barn
Bed, Pouffes, Jute RugWest Elm
Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams, ElteHalle's Room (Hollywood Glam)
Curtain Fabric (chair and bed)
Raoul Textiles Edrisa in Cardamom, Y & Co.
Madeleine Weinrib, Y & Co.
Side tablesHollace Cluny
Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams, Elte
Striped Cushions (on bed)Elte
Feathered Violet 882, Benjamin Moore
Softer Side 30-2, Pratt & Lambert
Bedside TableBungalow 5