Question:Dear Steven & Chris,
My husband and I just returned home from a phenomenal Mediterranean cruise. The sunshine and warm weather has me really inspired to do something about this backyard of mine. I usually put all my efforts into the garden and flowers, but I want to go further this season. I have the paved area that you can see with a decently large lawn that wraps around to the side of the house.
The blue tarp is concealing all the patio furniture I am hoping to get rid of. Is there any way to make the space I have into a summer retreat?
You have a great space, which is much larger than I think these pictures give it credit for.
- We would really love to see you start with a clean slate, so sell or donate all the furniture under the blue tarp and start fresh.
Consider letting the spacing in your stone fill in with moss and dense ground cover for a cobblestone feeling.
- Irish moss is the perfect solution for the unsightly empty gaps between paving stones. It will form a dense green carpet that will soften the harsh edges of the stones which is something we think this space could benefit from.
Image courtesy of Goshen.
- We would love to see you then layer on an outdoor rug. It will give the space an added layer that is important in pulling a space together.
- Indoor/outdoor carpet is specially made to be used outdoors and survive the abuse of various types of weather - the synthetic fiber is used in order to withstand a wide range of weather conditions, namely rain water.
This table is the perfect start to a great outdoor space. We went with white and blue here because it reminded us of the Island of Santorini.
Image courtesy of Travel N' Work.
- White - is great because it is a neutral backdrop for any colourful and vibrant plates and decorative accessories.
- Accessories - Have fun with dining accessories. We used your Mediterranean cruise as a guide for this table setting.
- For a dinner party, bring out all the stops. Here we layered great dinnerware with light linens and seaside inspired accessories. We also wrapped this decorative flower around the napkins for some added flare.
No retreat is complete without a lounge chair and a cocktail.
- Lounge chairs - Here we started with lounge chairs that match the dining set. Because they are on wheels you can move these around your space freely.
- Freestanding umbrella - This dark great umbrella is a perfect neutral for an outdoor space. Don't choose a bright yellow or red because you will tire easily from a color like that.
- Accent cushions: These cushions are covered in an outdoor fabric and are perfect to leave out all summer long. We do recommend bringing them in over the winter or even on damp nights in order to avoid "critters" making their home in them!
Here we have incorporated a number of pieces that are great for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Tray table - This tray table is perfect for a magazine and a cocktail in the summer, but you could as easily use it as a bar cart in your home during the winter months.
- Baskets - These baskets are fantastic because in the summer, you can store pillows and towels in them. They can also be moved into the mud room in the winter for similar items or mittens and scarves.
Vignette Provided By: West Elm