Question:Hi Steven & Chris!
I need some help deciding what colour to paint my walls, stairs, chair rail, doors and floor! As you can tell from the photos, the previous owner of the home went crazy with the weird colours.
Thanks for your help,
You have a beautiful space and, but the yellowed trim, floor, doors, stairs and moulding is too much. As a general rule, we are not a fan of any of trims, mouldings , etc. in a colour - we prefer a clean white. Paint out everything with the exception of the floor in a fresh white. Floor
- We would like to see you strip these floors. It will be a lengthy process (and you will have to hire someone to help you with this) but it will be well worth it! Strip the paint off the floors, have them sanded and re-stained in a warm walnut colour (similar to your front door).
We like the idea of a bench at the front door, but this one is a bit large - we would like to see at least 6" or so between the front door and bench.
We would like to see you choose a neutral colour for this space as there are so many angles here. A neutral color will minimize the impact of the angles.Wallpaper
- We would like you to choose a wallpaper for above your chair rail. Again, we would like to see you keep it neutral.
- When choosing wallpaper, consider all the places where you will be installing it. For you, you have a small entry way, a stairwell, a hall, etc.
- The biggest concern for us was the style of your home and how it might work with a wallpaper.
1. Damask - Too fluid with the sharp angles here.
2. Seagrass - Good, but not very impactful.
3. Geometric - Also ok, but your space is too small and you wouldn't get enough breathing room for the pattern.
4. Branches - We love the idea of this twig motif. It is organic in feel yet has an impactful structure. Lower paint colour
- Keep it darker than your paper. We would like to ground the wallpaper, so choose a rich tone that will tie in with the paper.
We would like you to also address these stairs - we would like to see you put carpet on the stairs. If you installed a runner down the middle of the stairs it would be far too small. We think that you will need to install this from wall to wall on the stairs. (Which would keep you from stripping them!)
And THIS is what we imagine your space to be - STUNNING! Credits:
Twig Wallpaper - Wall Quest
Seagrass Wallpaper - Crown