Nutritionist Peggy Kotsopoulos
says that certain foods can help us shake even the worst of moods! Play the food fight game and find out which feeling foods can help you! 1. WHICH FOOD CAN HELP BUST THE BLOAT? Fennel or Cayenne Pepper? ANSWER: FENNEL
Fennel is a natural diuretic, which helps to eliminate excess water retention and sodium from your body, helping to feel less bloated. It's also a carminative which helps eliminate and prevent gas and bloating associated with gas. Eat fennel on its own, chew on a few fennel seeds or make a tea using the seeds to help eliminate the excess weight as a result of water retention and to treat a bloated tummy. 2. WHICH FOOD CAN HELP WITH A LOW LIBIDO? Strawberries or Garlic? ANSWER: GARLIC
Although garlic may seem like the antithesis of sexiness, it actually helps to get blood flowing in all the right places. Garlic contains allicin, which is the sulfur-based organic compound that increases blood flow to sex organs. It does this by increasing Nitric Oxide (NO), which is a chemical gas used by blood vessel walls to trigger the arteries and surrounding muscles to relax. The more Nitric Oxide, the wider the blood vessels become and the greater the increase in blood flow, causing a sexual response in both males and females. In addition, garlic also helps to prevent blood platelets from building up and forming artery-clogging blood clots, which helps with the whole blood-flow process. 3. WHICH FOOD CAN HELP US FEEL LESS DEPRESSED? Basil or Saffron? ANSWER: SAFFRON
Research shows that saffron works just as effectively as Prozac in treating mild to moderate depression - without the side effects! Studies show that 30mg of saffron extract per day was equal to 20mg of Prozac per day in terms of efficacy. Crocin and safranal, the two chemical compounds found in saffron, are reported to relieve depression by raising serotonin and other mood enhancing chemicals in the brain. Crocin, which is a carotenoid antioxidant gives saffron it's orangy colour, while safranal gives the spice it's distinctive aroma. 4. WHICH FOOD CAN HELP EASE THE STRESS? Lemon Balm Tea or Dandelion Tea? ANSWER: LEMON BALM
Lemon Balm is a calming herb, very similar to mint belonging to the same family, but exhibits antibacterial, antiviral and mild sedative properties. Studies show that lemon balm's anti-anxiety properties work best synergistically as a sleep aid when combined with other sleep-inducing herbs, such valerian, chamomile or passionflower. Lemon balm also contains the chemical compound eugenol, which helps to calm muscle spasms and promote relaxation. 5. WHICH FOOD CAN HELP US SHAKE A COLD? Mushrooms or Oranges? ANSWER: MUSHROOMS
Mushrooms are rich in beta glucans, which are polysaccharides that have the ability to 'activate' the immune system and help prevent infections. Mushrooms are also one of the few plant-based foods that contain modest amounts of Vitamin D which helps boost immune system. Shiitake
- Shiitake contains a type of beta-gulcan polysaccharide called lentinan, which stimulates the production of white blood cells has reported anti-cancer benefits, and increases quality of life of cancer patients and reduces the rate of cancer re-occurrence.
- These are also very heart healthy as they lower cholesterol and can prevent heart disease.
- Have immune boosting and cancer fighting ability. Studies show that they can block tumor formation in mice.
White Button Mushroom
- Reishi mushrooms increase the production of interleukins, which are cytokines that regulate the immune response and inflammatory reactions.
- They also contain strong anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties.
- Increases interferon production which block viruses from spreading.
- Researchers at Tufts University have concluded that white button mushrooms boost the immune system by increasing the production of proteins that fight disease-causing pathogens.