Dining rooms are often the heart of the house but gone are the days of them being considered museum rooms. They merge comfort and beauty to create a space where people want to linger. Lisa was on the Steven and Chris to show you how to define your dining room to make it stand out from the rest while also making it warm and comforting.
Lisa's two favourite accessories for adding that dazzle to your dining room are mirrors and sconces.MIRRORS
- Mirrors are great because they reflect light and therefore provide luminosity for the dining room, they can be quite elegant and they also increase the perception of space.
- Scale is very important. This is dependent on many factors. Is it an accent in the room or a focal point?
- Choose finishes that work with your space.
- Be careful of placement - always try to place them in a spot that reflects a beautiful view if possible.
- They provide a warm ambient light perfect for enjoying a meal with friends or family.
- There are so many gorgeous options out there! No excuse for not finding magnificent ones!
- Remember they are not designed to provide high light levels just general ambient mood lighting. Always put yours on a dimmer!
- Again, think about scale. How high is the sideboard or piece of furniture it is above? Are they a focal point or an accent?
These sconces seen on the Steven and Chris show courtesy of Union Lighting & Furnishings
This sconce seen on Steven and Chris courtesy of Elte
Wallpaper seen on Steven and Chris courtesy of Crown Wallpaper
.Here are Lisa's favourite Dining Room pieces right now...
Bar Cart - this is a great option if you're looking for something that is not as heavy visually as a sideboard. Only display beautiful things here. Get out the duster - you will be polishing this up often.
Chest - another great alternative to a sideboard. A little less visually heavy yet still has plenty of storage.
From 1212 Decor
Multi-functioning Sideboard - if you're going to go with a sideboard, get one that functions for you. This one has a tone of storage - shelving, different sized drawers and a wine holder.
Funky Sideboard - if you're looking for something special to make your dining room stand out, go with something in a different texture/finish. Look at this one!