These muffins are packed full of good things...who says nutritious can't be delicious, too? Apple, Almond & Blueberry Muffins with Maple Cream
1 1/2 cups spelt flour
2 tbsp flax seeds
5 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, diced, room temperature
4 medium Gala or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/3-inch pieces
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon (packed) golden brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
½ cup slivered almonds
2/3 cup fresh blueberries
coarse sugar, for sprinkling
2 cups chilled whipping cream
1/3 cup good quality maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners or butter 9-inch-diameter spring form pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides. Sift first 5 ingredients into large bowl. Rub in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Mix in apples and brown sugar. Whisk eggs and milk together; stir into apple mixture with almonds and blueberries (batter will be thick). Transfer to pan. Sprinkle top with coarse sugar.
3. Bake until golden and springy to touch (about 20-25 minutes for muffins and about 45 minutes for cake). Cool slightly on rack.
4. If making cake: cut around cake to loosen; remove pan sides and cool completely.
5. Whip cream on medium speed to get some air into it. Add maple syrup and whip on high until soft, pillowy peaks form. Serve each slice of cake with a dollop of cream and a dusting of cinnamon. Enjoy!