Chef Jo Lusted
always amazes us with interesting facts when she introduces us to different ingredients. This week, it was all about exotic fruits. The colours were beautiful and the taste testing was divine. We especially loved her Sweet and Spicy Starfruit Chips...not to mention her Buddha's Hand Gremolata. Go ahead, think outside the regular fruit box and try a taste of the exotic!Sweet and Spicy Starfruit Chips
By Chef Jo Lusted
Makes: about 36 chips
Hands-On Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes Ingredients
3 starfruit (carambola)
1 cup liquid honey
1 cup water
sea salt and cayenne pepper to taste Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 200F.
2. Slice Starfruit into 1/8" pieces (you should have about 36 star-shaped pieces).
3. Bring honey and water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring until honey is incorporated. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
4. Place starfruit in a bowl and pour syrup over starfruit and toss gently to coat. Strain through a fine mesh strainer; cover and refrigerate syrup for future use. Arrange chips on a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Place tray in oven and dry for 2-3 hours, turning once, until crisp. Begin checking for doneness after 2 hours, removing smaller dried chips once they are crisp. Transfer dried chips to a baking rack to cool.
5. Store in a sealable container in a cool dark place for up to 5 days.Buddha's Hand Gremolata
By Chef Jo Lusted
Gremolata is a ground herb condiment that can be used as a topping on pasta or as an accompaniment to meat dishes.Ingredients
½ cup coarsely chopped fresh herbs (parsley and tarragon)
1/4 cup toasted and coarsely chopped hazelnuts (skins removed)
3 tbsp Buddha's Hand zest
1 clove garlic
Sea salt and pepper to tastePreparation
1. Combine and blend in a mortar and pestle. Scrape out and toss with cooked pasta and olive oil. Garnish with peeled Buddha's Hand strips.EXOTIC FRUITS FEATURED
- Passion Fruit
- Dragon Fruit
- Star Fruit
- Buddha's Hand