Ask Steven and Chris: Simplifying a Space
Question:My husband and I have a dilemma regarding our living room furniture. We are willing reupholster or buy new, and have debated a sectional sofa for the space.
Sylvia and Jim
Ask Steven and Chris:
- You have a fantastic space with a ton of light, which is great. We fear that you have tried to cram too much stuff into one small space here, and haven't allowed for enough 'breathing room'.
Before Floor Plan:
- We think that two sofas is one too many here - we understand what you are trying to do, but think that it is starting to feel quite crammed. We suggest choosing one larger sofa which will sit along your wall (with existing artwork).
Sofa from Martha Stewart
- The sideboard that you have chosen to put on that half wall seems to make sense, but it is really restricting flow in your space. We would like to see it moved (After Floor Plan 1) or removed.
After Floor Plan 1:
After Floor Plan 2:
- Moving the hutch will allow some room for two large accent chairs - something that is not as weighty as your existing pieces.
- Because your space is so large and full of light, we really encourage you to introduce some bold colour. Here we have selected some rich jewel tones that we think will add some depth to the neutral pallet.
- We really would like to see you soften that window wall, and we think that a simple silhouette will do the trick. The softness will enhance the windows without making them overpowering.