Ask S & C: Freshening Up a Foyer
Question Hi Steven & Chris:
My family and I have been living in our house for nearly 13 years and we've never known what to do with this bizarre space.
We have a small entryway (about 4x11) but the coat closet is quite large.
I just don't want this cactus graveyard circa 1999 anymore!
Thanks for your attention,
KarenAsk Steven and Chris
- We totally understand your frustration because, although we have seen a lot of these awkward nooks in foyers, this one is particularly difficult because the window protrudes into that space.
- We would first like to see you totally clear the alcove. By placing knick-knacks or art here, you are only drawing attention to an awkward space. Keeping it clean and clear will downplay the nook.
- Since the window is so high up on the wall, privacy is not an issue here. Therefore, we would like to see you remove the blinds and replace them with some simple mullions. The mullions should follow the natural lines of the moulding of the door and edge of the closet wall.
- We would recommend installing new casing around the window and giving the moulding and the walls a fresh coat of your white paint.
- Since you have a large closet, we would like you to remove the coat rack and keep everything tucked away behind the doors. If you find that you still need a little more storage, we suggest placing a great, simple and white trunk in the nook.
- Consider replacing the mirrored doors with some lovely bi-fold doors with raised panels like your front door. This will give a much more cohesive look.
- We would like to see you properly display your kimono under plexi in a great frame. This can then be hung where the coat rack once lived.
- And this is the final look that we think will be great for your new foyer!