Today's HMHM is all about transforming those packaged side dishes into a delicious app, main dish and even dessert!
AppCheddar Bacon Rice Jalapeno PoppersMainStroganoff Stuffed MeatloafDessertBlack Forest Mashed Potato Cake
Black Forest Mashed Potato Cake
Makes 10 ServingsIngredients
1 package chocolate fudge cake mix (515 g), mixed as per package instructions with water reduced by half, 3 large eggs, and ½ cup oil
1 package chocolate pudding mix (113 g), prepared as per package instructions
1 cup prepared instant mashed potatoes
Decoration and Filling
1 can cherry pie filling (540 mL)
1 tub frozen whipped topping (1 L), defrosted
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chipsMethod
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray 2 x 9" (1.5L) round cake tins with non-stick cooking spray and tin bottoms with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer on low speed or whisk, beat together prepared cake batter, pudding, and mashed potatoes until smooth.
- Divide mixture between the 2 cake pans and bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool completely in tins.
- Remove cakes from tins, and remove parchment liners from bottoms of cakes. Leaving a 1 ½" border around top edge of cake, using a small knife, cut out a circle ½" deep from top of one cake. Scoop out cake pieces and reserve. (Cake should look like a bowl with ½" deep hole cut out).
- Place cut cake onto a cake stand. Pour 1 cup cherry pie filling into hole on top of cake and smooth out with a spatula. Place second cake directly on top. Using an offset spatula, ice entire cake with whipped topping. Coat side of cake with chocolate chips. Pour remaining pie filling onto top of cake directly in center, and arrange reserved cake pieces around pie filling. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.