I'm desperately in need of your help. My family lives on the top floor of a duplex We have renovated every room ourselves, but are stumped us is the living room. We just can't figure it out. Please help.
Steven and Chris say:
You have a fantastic space, but having such a small space is proving to be quite a challenge here. We do also want to discuss finding your personal design style. We often see rooms just like yours that lack a little oomph. We have compiled a few places to look to help you find your design style.
1. What is in your closet? Do you have a stack of monochromatic sweaters, do you save up for sequence shoes, or is your closet layered with colourful sundresses. These are all indicators to personal style. Think of your clothing as an environment - It is where you are most comfortable.
Clothing, Hugo Boss & Joe Fresh http://www.hugoboss.com/ http://www.joe.ca/en/
2. Travel. Where do you choose to vacation - or where do you dream of visiting?
Do you prefer vacationing on a beach - laying by the ocean, sand under your toes with a bag of souvenir seashells in your suitcase
Would you love to travel to India - Visiting the spice markets, traveling the city to city taking beautiful photographs along the way
Have you always wanted to rent an old cottage in the French countryside - sipping wine, going on a bike tour and bringing home French inspired textiles.
Whatever it is that gets you excited about travel should be in your home. What is it that you like to surround yourself with? Even if it is the bright lights of a big city! 3. Where you shop? What type of stores do you like? Do you shop at the same stores all the time - even if you are not looking to buy or are out of town
Does a flea market or second hand shop interest you?
Do you like highly styled home stores ...even if you can't afford what is in them
Do you prefer a one of a kind artisan shop?
Whatever it is that has captured your attention about your favourite shop will guide you in the right direction when it comes to finding your personal design style.
4. What is your most recent home goods purchase? Was it crisp white linens for your bathroom, a whimsical bird that sits on your windowsill, or a classic librarian's desk lamp. Either way, think about what it is and why you liked it. What you buy, even if the item is a necessity, will act as an indicator or your style.
5. Find the gem. What is that one piece that you LOVE. It is usually different from everything else in your home, but chances are you love it the most. As a general rule these odd pieces are the style you love but you haven't been able to commit to styling a whole room with the look.
6. Art. What you have already on your walls is a great indicator of your personal style. A bold painting in the bathroom or a watercolour over your mantle. What one is your favourite? - Use that as a jumping of point for the décor of your room.