Steven's Mom Irene is back in the kitchen making some of the Sabados family's favourite dishes.
Watch episode 167 nowIrene's Pork Cutlet Casserole
3 tbsp. butter, divided
½ cup raw long grain rice
6 medium potatoes, thinly sliced, about 2 lbs.
½ cup finely diced shallots, about 75g, divided
½ cup diced red pepper, divided
1 ½ cups 35% whipping cream
1 cup 3.5% homogenized milk
10 to 12 fast fry pork cutlets, about ¼" thick
1 - 2 tbsp.canola oil
1 ½ tsp. salt, divided
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. paprika
2 tbsp. chopped parsley (optional)Method:
Preheat oven to 350 F.
1. Using 1 tbsp. butter, grease a 9 x 13 inch glass casserole dish.
2. Sprinkle rice evenly in pan.
3. Layer half of the potatoes, top with half of the shallots and half of the diced red pepper. Season with half of the salt and pepper.
4. Layer remaining potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining shallots and red pepper. Dot with remaining 2 tbsp. of butter. Season with remaining salt and pepper, or to taste.
5. Pour over cream and milk. Cover with greased foil and bake for 30 minutes.
6. In a small bowl, mix together cheese, granulated garlic and paprika. Set aside.
7. Remove foil from casserole and bake for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and golden.
8. Season pork cutlets with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Saute cutlets, in batches, until browned on edges, about 2 - 3 minutes per side. Set aside.
9. Remove casserole from oven and arrange cutlets on top of casserole. Sprinkle with cheese mixture. Bake, uncovered for 10 minutes, until cutlets are warmed through and cheese melts.
Garnish with parsley, if using.
Makes 6 servings.Irene's Fried Beets
Boil fresh beets until tender crisp, let cool and cut to resemble French fries
About two heaping cups, cut up
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 minced onion, small to medium
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp sugar
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp flourMethod:
1. Sauté onions and garlic until soft
2. While sautéing, sprinkle with a little salt and freshly ground pepper
3. Add beets, warm through, add ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp sugar a little more freshly ground pepper
Stir and add 1tbsp vinegar, sprinkling new beets, stir to combine, then add 1tbsp flour and stir to combine again
Fresh frozen beets can also be used.
I boil my beets, cool, cut up and freeze.