Lisa Charles, owner of Potato Skins, came by to talk about three levels of slipcovering: a simple throw to cover up a loveseat; a casual slipcover that you can buy off the shelf covers up a club chair, and a custom slipcover.
What's the big appeal of slipcovers?
- Protection. Your sofa is probably the most used piece of furniture. If you have pets or children or the sofa is a high-traffic item and eating place on game night. Slipcovers are an excellent way to protect the upholstery underneath.
- Washability. The biggest appeal of slipcovers is the WASHABILTY factor. They can be easily removed so furniture stays fresh and clean.
- New Look. You can get an instant new look to an existing piece of furniture. Transform a room seasonally - charcoal grey flannel covers in the winter and pure white or crisp bright striped covers in the summer.
- Act of Green! You reduce the furniture in the landfill when you give new life to an old piece.
- Get creative. You can update a sentimental, out-dated piece easily by changing the fabric or incorporating details like showing the legs, adding a multiple pleats to a skirt, contrast piping, or ties and button detail. It's fun to be involved in the creative design process. It can be your way of making your mark and customizing a piece.
- Budget. Slipcovers are an affordable alternative to buying new and a great way to make due. Especially if you have a good quality piece.
Lisa's Frequently Asked Questions
Can leather be covered?
Yes - if there are removable cushions you can go for casual slipcover but for a tight fit a custom slipcover is recommended
What if the arms are ripped or torn? Is it garbage?
No, as long as they are not wobbly and the foundation isn't damaged. You can use duct tape to do a hidden repair job on the old upholstery fabric - you will be covering it up anyway.
What is the best fabric to deter cats from scratching?
Tighter weaves - like microfibres.
What can be done with unusual shapes?
Strange Shaped Pieces, Sectionals or pieces with wood detail have to be custom made.
Timing - How long does it take to make a cover?
Custom cover - usually 3 - 4 weeks
Visit Lisa online: