Joshna dropped by to make the
ultimate menu for a family-friendly Mexican fiesta. Today's menu includes Flank Steak Soft Tacos, Mango Salsa, and Joshna's Guacamole.
Watch Episode 174 now.
Flank Steak Soft Tacos
2 flank steaks, about 1 1/2 lbs. each
1 tsp toasted ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, smashed
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp smoked paprika
zest and juice of 2 limes
kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
12 small tortillas
1 cup sour cream
1. Combine zest of 1 lime and all the rest of the marinade ingredients except for the salt in a ziplock bag and shake around to combine.
2. Using a sharp knife, score flank steak diagonally, then turn 90 degrees and score once again, being sure not to cut more than 1/3 of the way into the steak.
3. Add steak to marinade and shake around to coat. Refrigerate in a dish in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
4. To cook, preheat grill to high. Remove steak from marinade, season well with kosher salt and grill to medium, about 10 minutes on each side.
5. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Slice thinly against the grain and set aside.
6. Add remaining 1 lime's worth of zest to sour cream and stir to combine. Fill tortillas with steak, sour cream, salsa & guacamole and serve.Mango Salsa
Makes about 3 cups
This is a versatile recipe, and you can substitute almost any fresh fruit for the mango. I've had great results with pineapple, papaya and melon, as well as grapes and strawberries.Ingredients
2 slightly under ripe mangoes, peeled and diced about ¼-inch
1 small red onion, finely diced
½ cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
5-6 springs fresh mint, finely chopped
1 green chili, minced (optional)
juice of 2-3 limes
1 good glug grapeseed oil
1. Combine chopped mangoes, onions, coriander, mint and chili, if using, in a medium bowl.
2. Season salsa with lime juice, oil and salt to taste.Joshna's Guacamole
Makes about 3 cups
Adding the pit to the serving bowl will help to keep the guacamole from turning black. You can also add 1 shot of tequila to this mixture for a really good kick.Ingredients:
3 ripe avocadoes
1 roma tomato, seeded and finely diced
¼ cup very finely diced white onion
juice of 3 limes
½ jalapeno, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small handful fresh coriander, finely chopped
kosher salt to tasteMethod
1. Peel avocadoes and remove pits. Add lime juice and garlic and mash well with a fork, being sure to leave it nice and chunky.
2. Gently mix in tomato, onion, coriander and salt. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
3. Place one avocado pit in the bottom of your serving bowl. Pour guacamole over pit and cover with plastic wrap, right on the surface of the guacamole.