We took a trip back in time to Steven's childhood - It was 1977 and the desserts were simple. Using a boxed white cake mix and a package of Jello, Irene Sabados made birthday cakes that the neighbourhood kids lined up for. She visited the show to demonstrate how to make two versions of this classic cake - and she shared her recipe for awesome ambrosia as well.
1 cup drained fruit cocktail
1 cup drained pineapple tidbits
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup coconuts
1 cup sour cream or a bit more if it feels a little dry
1. Combine all ingredients and chill overnight.
2. Put in your fancy containers.
Note: Other fruits, finely chopped nuts - can also be added. If you don't like coconut, it's okay to omit.
PUDDING AND JELLO CAKE TIPS
Use handle of plastic spoon to poke holes in cake. If handle is thin, poke 2 holes really close together to allow pudding to run into holes. Mix pudding using whole milk as per package directions - but whisk till it just starts to thicken. Pour quickly into holes and overtop. Refrigerate till set - top with Cool Whip or whipped cream. Decorate with shaved coconut, sprinkles, etc...
Use large meat fork to poke holes in cake. Mix raspberry jello using 1cup hot water and 3/4 cup cold water. Cool in fridge or freezer till syrup consistency. Watch closely so it doesn't thicken. Pour slowly into holes. Save some jello to thicken a bit more to pour over top. Before jello is poured - fruit can be put on cake. Let set - top cake with Cool Whip or whipped cream and sprinkle fresh raspberries over top.
MOM'S WHITE CAKE RECIPE
1/2 cup shortening or 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
1. Cream shortening or butter, add vanilla - add sugar gradually, creaming well after each addition. Add eggs, one at a time, beating till smooth and fluffy. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk - about 4 times. Beat on medium speed with electric mixmaster till smooth but don't over beat.
2. Grease and flour 8" or 9" round pan.
3. Bake in centre of oven at 350ª - 40 to 45 minutes. Test with toothpick.