Christian's Wheat Berry Salad with toasted walnuts and goat cheese
* 1 cup wheat berries (hard wheat kernels)
* 1/2 cup of raisins
* 1/2 cup of sliced green onions
* a small hand full of pitted Kalamata olives (pitted)
* a generous bit of goat cheese crumbled (1/2 cup)
* 2 BIG handfuls of arugula
* 1/3 cup of lightly toasted walnuts
* 3 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
* 3 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
* 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (or honey)
* Fresh cracked pepper (to taste)
Bring 5 cups of lightly salted water to a boil in a saucepan. Place wheat berries in water and reduce heat to low and simmer with cover on for about an hour, or until berries are tender. Let wheat berries cool. In a large bowl place your cooled wheat berries, raisins, sliced green onions, olives, crumbled goat cheese and toasted walnuts, lightly toss.
In a separate bowl whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and maple syrup with some fresh cracked pepper. If you want to funk it up a little bit add a tiny bit of Dijon!
To toast your walnuts place them in a saucepan (without fat, oil, butter etc.) and turn the heat to medium and gently move them around until lightly toasted.