Genny Iannucci visited to talk about the classic white blouse and the many ways to wear it!
The White Blouse
- The white blouse is a wardrobe powerhouse and a must have wardrobe staple.
- It's not a fad or trend item - it will always have a place in your wardrobe.
- What is wonderful about the white blouse is that it is so versatile!
- It can be worn with any colour skirt, pant, jacket or dress and with the variety of styles available it can be take you to the office, out to a special occasion and into the weekend.
- Unlike other items in your wardrobe, the white blouse is also seasonless. It works any time of the year.
If you are buying just one white blouse for your wardrobe, select a white blouse:
- In a fabric that is substantial (in other words in a fabric that is not see-through) allowing you to wear the blouse both layered under pieces and also on its own as a stand-alone piece.
- In a good quality fabric. Because a white shirt needs to be laundered frequently you want a fabric that will give you longevity and keeps its shape. 100% cottons and polyesters are both good choices. Also look for fabrics with some stretch. The addition of elastane will help your blouse keep its shape longer, reduce wrinkling and it will make the blouse feel softer against your skin.
- With feminine shaping (nothing too boxy). This gives your blouse greater versatility as you can layer it under clingier knits.
- In a length that is long enough to allow you to tuck it into a pant or skirt and is also long enough to stay in place.
- That has subtle detailing. Any details on the blouse should be simple enough so that they do not hinder the versatility of the blouse. You want to be able to wear you blouse in a variety of ways.
- Don't wear a white bra under a white shirt. It will show through. For the best effect, wear a bra in a colour that matches your skin tone under a white shirt.