Tiger Woods crashed his sport utility vehicle into a fire hydrant at 2:30 a.m. on Nov. 27, resulting in emergencey responders being called.

The ambulance crew that responded after golfer Tiger Woods crashed his SUV would not allow his wife to ride with him to the hospital because they thought it was a case of domestic violence, documents released Friday by the Florida Highway Patrol show.

But a police officer who responded said he didn't know where the crew got that information because he never heard it from anyone at the scene.

The reports also show that Woods' wife, Elin, turned over two bottles of pain pills to troopers after the Nov. 27 crash outside the couple's suburban Orlando home.

Tiger Woods crashed his sport utility vehicle into a fire hydrant at 2:30 a.m., and when police officers arrived they found him lying in the street.

The couple told investigators Elin Nordegren smashed the back window of the SUV with a golf club so she could unlock a door and pull her husband out.

Woods, the world's No. 1 golfer, has strenuously denied his wife abused him.

"Elin never hit me that night or any other night. There has never been an episode of domestic violence in our marriage, ever," Woods said during a televised apology last month.

The crash led to disclosures that Woods had affairs with several women. He was charged with careless driving and fined $164 US.    

The report showed Health Central Hospital, which treated Woods after the crash, refused to release blood test results to investigators without a warrant. The state attorney's office wouldn't request one, saying there wasn't enough probable cause that a crime had been committed.

Cpl. Thomas R. Dewitt, one of the highway patrol investigators, also wrote in his report that he asked for videotape from a security camera at the Woods' home.

"There were two cameras that should have documented [the vehicle] leaving the driveway and portions of the crash," Dewitt wrote.

But the golfer's lawyer, Mark NeJame, told him the couple didn't know if the camera worked and couldn't figure out how to remove the tape.

NeJame told Dewitt he had looked at monitors inside the home and they were blank. There is no indication in Dewitt's report that officers got video despite several requests.

NeJame said he had no comment on the report.

Messages left with the hospital's ambulance service and the FHP were not immediately returned.

There has been speculation recently that Woods is preparing for a return to professional golf.

Two people with knowledge of Woods' plans told The Associated Press on Thursday that he intends to remain out of golf at least until the Masters in early April. The two spoke on condition of anonymity because only Woods is supposed to release such information.

Woods has been practising at Isleworth near his Orlando home the last two weeks, and swing coach Hank Haney flew there recently to work with him.

Woods has not played professionally since Nov. 15, when he won the Australian Masters in Melbourne. It was his 82nd career victory.