Woods takes 'indefinite break' from golf
Tiger Woods announced on his website late Friday he is taking a hiatus from professional golf, using the word "infidelity" for the first time in a statement.
"After much soul-searching, I have decided to take an indefinite break from professional golf. I need to focus my attention on being a better husband, father and person," he said.
Woods apologized for his behaviour, as he did in a statement on Dec. 2 when he admitted to "transgressions" in the wake of a Nov. 27 incident near his Florida home when he drove his SUV into a fire hydrant and a tree.
Moving to Sweden?
Woods's wife has bought a six-bedroom house on a small island near Stockholm that is reachable only by boat.
Stenake Johansson, chairman of the Residential Association on Faglaro Island, told The Associated Press on Saturday that Elin Nordegren became the owner of the property on Dec. 1.
"Elin Nordegren has bought it, but I don't know how much Tiger has signed on to those papers," said Johansson, adding that his organization is still awaiting all the paperwork.
Johansson could not confirm the house's reported price of $2.2 million US and said he didn't know whether Nordegren and Woods planned to move in.
Woods announced Friday he is taking an indefinite break from golf in an attempt to save his marriage following two weeks of allegations of extramarital affairs.
There have been unconfirmed reports the couple may be headed to Sweden to escape the worst of the media frenzy. Nordegren's father, radio talk show host Thomas Nordegren, said Saturday he doesn't know whether that's true.
Several women have since come forward to allege affairs with Woods, who has been married for five years to Elin Nordegren.
He has not been seen in public since the SUV crash.
Woods did not disclose Friday how long of a break he would take from the PGA Tour. It had already been announced after he pulled out of last week's Chevron Challenge that he would not tee up again in 2009.
The PGA Tour said it supported the decision by its biggest star.
"His priorities are where they need to be and we will continue to respect and honour his family's request for privacy," PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem said in a statement, the tour's first public comment since Woods mentioned his "personal failings" on Dec. 2.
"We look forward to Tiger's return to the PGA Tour when he determines the time is right for him."
Steve Stricker, who went undefeated as Woods's partner at the Presidents Cup, said his leave was the right decision.
"I think it's great that he's going to put his family first and work things out," Stricker said from Naples, Fla., where he is playing the Shark Shootout. "Golf will always be there. He wants to make sure his marriage is right and everything is good on the home front. We'll sure miss him on tour until he gets things taken care of."
Woods, who asked for forgiveness in his statement, also indicated he would step away from the work of the Tiger Woods Foundation.Click here to read full statement from Tiger Woods