Toronto lands Jon Jones, Gustafsson in UFC 178 rematch
Mixed martial artists staged memorable fight in Toronto last September
UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon (Bones) Jones' rematch with Alexander (The Mauler) Gustafsson is set for Sept. 27 in Toronto, where the two fought a memorable five-round fight last September.
Jones won a unanimous decision at UFC 165 at the Air Canada Centre, but had his hands full with the aggressive Swede.
The UFC 178 rematch is set for Sept. 27 at the same arena.
"Jones vs Gustafsson is on!!!," tweeted UFC president Dana White.
"It's on!" Jones echoed via Twitter.
Jones (20-1) stopped Brazil's Glover Teixeira at UFC 165 last September, with a Gustafsson rematch next on the cards. But the champion did not look favourably on a date earlier this year to fight Gustafsson again and seemingly looked to a matchup with former heavyweight Daniel Cormier, who has been turning heads since dropping down to 205 pounds.
Gustafsson (16-2) is ranked No. 1 among light-heavyweight contenders while Cormier (15-0) is No. 2.
"I think Cormier is the tougher fighter, but the fans want to see me fight Gustafsson," Jones told ufc.com. "There was never an issue with taking the Gustafsson fight.
"The issue was that my brother is getting married in July and I would have preferred a later date. I didn't want to go this early and I would have preferred to go later in October or November.
"It is what it is. We have a date now, Sept 27.
"This was a personal decision for me. I will be at my brother's wedding and have a proper training camp."
White said Jones will get his shot at Cormier if he beats Gustafsson.
Gustafsson looked impressive in knocking out Jimi Manuwa in March. Cormier is coming off a third-round submission of veteran Dan Henderson at UFC 173 in May.
Jones, ranked as the UFC's top pound-for-pound fighter, has defended his title seven times since dethroning Brazilian Mauriico (Shogun) Rua at UFC 128 in March 2011.
Jones also fought in Toronto at UFC 140, choking out Lyoto (The Dragon) Machida in December 2011.
Rama signs with WSOF Canada
In other MMA news, heavyweight Smealinho (The Prince) Rama has signed with the World Series of Fighting Canada.
The 22-year-old fighter of Albanian-Greek descent, who now makes his home in Calgary, stopped UFC veteran Tim Hague in the first round last month. He won a unanimous decision over Steve Mocco on a WSOF Canada card in Edmonton in February.
Rama suffered his lone loss in nine fights in a KO via a head kick against Anthony Hamilton at MFC 38 last October.
"I've been very impressed watching Rama's career develop," WSOF Canada executive Darren Owen said in a statement.
"He gets better every fight and he's always looking to finish whether he is looking for the knockout or if it hits on his feet or a submission on the ground he's looking for submissions. That's a rare combination for a heavyweight but very fan friendly."
The WSOF Canada's next card is Saturday in Edmonton.