Roger Federer cruises, Stosur upset at Wimbledon

With the Prince of Wales visiting Wimbledon for the first time since 1970, Roger Federer handed Fabio Fognini a royal thumping at the All England Club on Wednesday.
Roger Federer makes a rare slip in Wednesday's victory over Fabio Fognini at Wimbledon. (Paul Gilham/Getty Images)

Roger Federer gave Prince Charles a bow, then gave Fabio Fognini a royal thumping.

With the Prince of Wales visiting Wimbledon for the first time since 1970, Federer was at his best Wednesday and beat Fognini 6-1, 6-3, 6-2.

Six-time champion Federer won 37 of 41 points on his first serve, and won 21 of 23 points at the net against Fognini, an Italian ranked 68th.

Royal Visit

Prince Charles visited Wimbledon on Wednesday for the first time in 42 years, meeting with some former players and watching Roger Federer's match from the Royal Box on Centre Court.

Charles chatted with former British No. 1 Tim Henman before taking his seat in the Royal Box alongside his wife Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, who also came to Wimbledon last year.

Queen Elizabeth II made a visit to the All England Club in 2010, but Charles had not attended the tournament since 1970.

amilla arrived to the club before her husband and also chatted with former runner-up Andy Roddick.

— The Associated Press

"They do brief you beforehand," Federer said. "I guess you don't do anything stupid. You behave. Obviously we were asked to bow, which is obviously no problem to do. We're thrilled for the tennis family that they came to watch Wimbledon today."

Defending champion Novak Djokovic won under the lights, beating American Ryan Harrison 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 in the final match of the day.

With the schedule delayed because of afternoon rain, Djokovic and Harrison played under the retractable roof on Centre Court and finished their second-round match at 9:52 p.m.

The top-seeded Djokovic lost only four points on his second serve and saved all six break points he faced. He has won three of the past four Grand Slam titles but was beaten this month in the French Open final by Rafael Nadal.

Seeded third, Federer hopes to end his 2 ½-year drought in major tournaments, and he's off to a good start, losing only nine games through two rounds. He seeks to add to his record total of 16 Grand Slam championships, and he could match the record of seven Wimbledon men's titles set by William Renshaw in the 1880s and tied by Pete Sampras in 2000.

"I'm just happy overall with how I'm playing," Federer said. "I'm serving well when I have to. I'm moving well. I feel like my forehand and backhand are working well. All of a sudden you win quite comfortably, but you have to focus until the very last point, and I'm happy as well with my concentration level."

Shortly after Federer's victory, rain interrupted play, and the retractable roof on Centre Court was closed for the first time in the tournament. Former No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki lost under the cover to Tamira Paszek, who saved two match points in the second set and won 5-7, 7-6 (4), 6-4.

Other Grand Slam champions advancing included Kim Clijsters and Andy Roddick, while reigning U.S. Open champion Samantha Stosur lost. More than 20 matches on outside courts were postponed until Thursday.

Sloane Stephens, a 19-year-old American playing at Wimbledon for the first time, saved five set points in the first set and beat No. 23 Petra Cetkovska 7-6 (6), 4-6, 6-3. In the final set, Stephens trailed love-30 in four consecutive service games, yet won them all.

"I'm 19 and I do still have some lapses," she said. "They're less now than I used to have in the past. I really don't get as upset when I lose points now. I'm not that emotional anymore."

Stephens is coming off her first run to the fourth round at a Grand Slam tournament, which happened this month at the French Open.

Heather Watson became the first British woman to reach the third round since 2002 when she defeated American Jamie Hampton 6-1, 6-4.

Sara Errani needed only seven seconds to complete a rain-interrupted win, and she didn't even have to hit a ball.

Errani led American CoCo Vandeweghe 6-1, 5-3 and held the advantage one point from victory when their match was halted Tuesday evening. They returned to Court 16 some 18 hours later, and when Vandeweghe double-faulted into the net on the first point, Errani had the win.

No. 21-seeded Milos Raonic required only one game to complete a rain-interrupted first-round win over Santiago Giraldo, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4. No. 7 David Ferrer reached the second round by beating Dustin Brown 7-6 (5), 6-4, 6-4.

Three-time Wimbledon runner-up Roddick needed three hours over two days to complete a first-round win over British wild card Jamie Baker, 7-6 (1), 6-4, 7-5.

Clijsters, a four-time major champion playing Wimbledon for the final time, advanced to the third round by beating Andrea Hlavackova 6-3, 6-3.

The No. 5-seeded Stosur fell to 6-10 at Wimbledon when she was upset by 72nd-ranked Arantxa Rus 6-2, 0-6, 6-4. Her elimination meant that for the first time since 1939, no Australian man or woman reached the third round at Wimbledon.

No. 13 Dominika Cibulkova lost to Klara Zakopalova 6-4, 6-1. Former No. 1 Ana Ivanovic beat Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.

American Mardy Fish said he declined interviews after his first-round victory because of a stomach problem related to pain medication he's taking for his right arm — and not related to his heart. He expects to be ready for his second-round match Thursday.

Fish spoke to reporters Wednesday, a day after he beat Ruben Ramirez-Hidalgo in straight sets. It was the first match for Fish since a medical procedure in May to try to pinpoint an accelerated heartbeat.

Federer took only 23 minutes to win the first set and continued to pull away. The inconsistent Fognini fell to 1-16 against top-10 players but did manage some spectacular shots, and the players shared smiles after several improbable points that had the crowd roaring.

There was a brief moment of drama when Federer slipped behind the baseline after hitting a forehand. His legs splayed and his left knee landed hard on the grass.

"I'm fine," he said. "No pain, which is good. It could be dangerous with the left knee. I'm happy it was only basically a bruise to the ground, and not anything in the knee itself."