Equine Canada has announced the 19 horse-rider combinations it will send to the London Olympics, with 2008 individual jumping gold medallist Eric Lamaze and veteran Ian Millar the top names.
Millar, 65, is poised to set a new all-time record by making his 10th Olympic appearance. The Perth, Ont., resident, who will compete with the horse Star Power in London, won his only Olympic medal in 2008 when he was part of the Canadian squad that won a silver in team jumping in Beijing.
"I am extremely excited to have been chosen to represent Canada at my 10th Olympic Games", Millar said in a statement. "I believe we will do Canada proud."
Lamaze, who also shared the team jumping silver, will have to defend his Olympic individual jumping title without his famed horse Hickstead, who died of a heart attack during a competition in November.
The Schomberg, Ont., rider will choose between Derly Chin de Muze and Verdi for his mount in London.
The full list of Canadian horse-rider combinations tabbed to compete in London:
- Yann Candele (Caledon, Ont.) and Carlotta Singular La Magnifica
- Tiffany Foster (Schomberg, Ont.) and Victor
- Jill Henselwood (Oxford Mills, Ont.) and George
- Eric Lamaze (Schomberg, Ont.) and Derly Chin de Muze or Verdi
- Ian Millar (Perth, Ont.) and Star Power
- Jonathan Asselin (Calgary) and Showgirl
- Jenna Thompson (Calgary) and Zeke
- Lisa Carleson (Spruce Grove, B.C.) and La Boom
- Jacqueline Brooks (Cedar Valley, Ont.) and D Niro
- Ashley Holzer (Toronto) and Breaking Dawn (reserve: Pop Art)
- David Marcus (Campbellville, Ont.) and Chrevi's Capital
- Diane Creech (Caistor Centre, Ont.) and Devon L
- Pia Fortmuller (DeWinton, Alta.) and Orion
- Peter Barry (Dunham, Que.) and Kilrodan Abbott
- Hawley Bennett-Awad (Langley, B.C.) and Gin & Juice
- Rebecca Howard (Salmon Arm, B.C.) and Riddle Master
- Michele Mueller (Port Perry, Ont.) and Amistad
- Jessica Phoenix (Cannington, Ont.) and Exponential
- Shandiss Wewiora (Oakville, Ont.) and Rockfield Grant Juan