Canadians head home after violence ends women's U-17 soccer tournament

Canada's women's under-17 soccer team has left Nicaragua after CONCACAF pulled the plug on its 2018 Women's Under-17 Championship following violence in the capital city of Managua.

Host Nicaragua beset by deadly protests

The Canadian women's under-17 soccer team left Nicaragua amid the ongoing unrest in the Central American country. (Rodrigo Arangua/AFP/Getty Images)

Canada coach Bev Priestman was preparing her team for a game Sunday against Costa Rica when CONCACAF pulled the plug on its 2018 Women's Under-17 Championship following violence in Managua, Nicaragua.

The Canadians had blanked Bermuda 3-0 Friday in their first game of the tournament.

"It happened so quickly," Priestman said late Monday from Miami as the Canadian team made its way home from Central America. "One minute you're about to play Costa Rica and then you find out about the tournament being cancelled.

"I do believe they made the right decision," she added. "Safety comes first."

Nicaragua has been rocked by a week of protests in which more than two dozen people have been killed. The protests quickly spread nationwide, with scenes of massive rock throwing, burning barricades, tear gas and gunfire.

Dozens of shops were looted in Managua, the Nicaragua capital where the tournament was taking place.

Priestman said the Canadian team had been insulated from the violence, with police escorts on their travels.

"I think that's what surprised us the most," she said. "We were sort of in a bubble. As you can imagine as a football team you're just preparing for your game. You turn up for training, you go home."

The protest movement started when the Sandinista government of President Daniel Ortega issued a decree on April 16 increasing income and payroll taxes and changing pensions to try to shore up Nicaragua's troubled social security system.

The tournament was to have determined the region's qualifiers for the Under-17 World Cup in Uruguay, which starts Nov. 13.

Canada had just played the one game. Mexico and Haiti, playing in the pool, had each won both of their outings to qualify for the semifinals.

"We haven't received any sort of notification other than they'll be meeting as a committee to decide on the next step," Priestman said of CONCACAF.

Canadian tournament officials also left Nicaragua.

With files from The Associated Press

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.