Spain striker Fernando Torres says he expects to be ready for the World Cup despite undergoing knee surgery that will sideline him for six weeks.
Torres underwent surgery Sunday in Barcelona and will miss the rest of the Premiership season for English club Liverpool.
The World Cup starts June 11.
"Now, the World Cup is the most important thing," Torres said Monday on his website. "I have been waiting for four years, and if all goes well, I do not see myself missing it."
Torres says he played injured against Benfica in the Europa League quarter-finals, refuting claims he has prioritized the World Cup.
"If I had been thinking about the World Cup and Spain, I would have asked to be taken out of the game," Torres said. "I did not do that. I wanted to make the Europa League final with my team."
Liverpool faces Torres's former club, Atletico Madrid, in Thursday's Europa League semifinals.