TFC settle for draw against FC Dallas

Thanks to Dwayne DeRosario's first goal in a Toronto uniform, the team managed to salvage a point at home with a 1-1 tie against FC Dallas on Saturday.

Dwayne DeRosario's first goal in a Toronto uniform wasn't enough as the club gave up a late goal to the Dallas FC and ended up with a 1-1 draw on Saturday at BMO Field.

De Rosario told CBC after the game that he was happy to score his first as a member of Toronto FC but that it was "bittersweet" because "it would've been nice to come out with a win."

The tie puts the Toronto's record at 1-1-2 while Dallas earned their first point of the season and are now 0-3-1.

"It's really disappointing to concede a goal with two or three minutes to go because I thought there was a vast improvement after last week's performance," said Toronto coach John Carver.

The De Rosario goal, the 52nd of his MLS career, was a header off a beautiful throw-in from Adrian Serioux that came at the 17th minute and was the peak of a furious start to the game where there were plenty of chances in the first 20 minutes.

Earlier, Fuad Ibrahim cleared into box for Toronto and teammate De Rosario was just beaten to the ball by Burse. The ball seemed on its way to the goal line, but a Dallas defender cleared the ball from danger.

At the other end, David Ferreira led Dave van den Bergh with a pass but Toronto goalkeeper Stefan Frei got there first.

"He had a super game today and I feel for him a little bit," said Carver. "If anybody deserved a clean sheet [Saturday] it was Stefan."

Chad Barrett had a solid shot in the seventh minute, but right at the Dallas keeper.

In the 12th minute, Frei kept the game scoreless with  a spectacular leaping save to rob Dallas's Andre Rocha.

Shot hit crossbar

Toronto had a scare just before the end of the half for Toronto when a header by Dax McCarty hit the TFC crossbar in the 43rd minute. The ball came straight down, skirting the goal line but not crossing it, which allowed Toronto to maintain their 1-0 lead going into halftime.

The furious pace continued in the second half and three minutes in, a McCarty corner-kick led to another chance for Rocha when the ball squirted out of a crowd in front of the keeper. However, Rocha shot it wide.

Toronto then marched the ball up field and after an amazing display of one-on-one footwork that gave him some room, Ibrahim put the ball on net only to have it punched away by Dallas keeper David Burse.

De Rosario executed some nice footwork on the Toronto side of the pitch in the 56th minute and launched a pass to Sam Cronin, but Burse swallowed up the ball as Cronin charged the net.

Barrett replaced

Barrett was taken of in the 69th minute in favour of  Danny Dichio, who had a chance six minutes later when he had Burse sprawling on a shot that narrowly missed  the post.

Dallas's Jeff Cunningham earned himself a yellow card in the 80th minute for a reckless challenge on Frei as the goalie swallowed up the ball and had his legs knocked from beneath him by the Dallas player.

Dichio was shown a yellow card of his own two minutes later after he pushed George John to the ground on a corner kick while trying to separate himself from the fray in the 18-yard box.

Shortly after the Dichio foul, Pablo Ricchetti found the back of the net for the first time this season with a sliding goal inside of the penalty area that tied the game in the 87th minute.

With the tie, FC Dallas managed to salvage a point but remains winless and in the basement of the MLS Western Conference. With their point, Toronto now has five on the year and moved up into a third-place tie with D.C. United as of Saturday afternoon.