Angry soccer fans in Mali went on a wild spree of violence and destruction Monday, one day after the country's national team lost an African World Cup qualifying match to Togo.

On Sunday, Mali dropped a 2-1 home decision before 70,000 fans thanks to a late goal by Togo's Kader Koubadia.

The result set off a wave of violence in the capital of Bamako. Mali fans set cars on fire, looted stores, destroyed property and monuments and burned down a multi-level building the housed the local Olympic committee in the early hours of Monday morning.

Exact numbers of those injured or arrested have not been released.

Trouble erupted after Togo's winning goal when Police fired tear gas on enraged fans who ran onto the field. The game was immediately halted and Togo was awarded the victory by the African Soccer Confederation, although FIFA, soccer's world governing body, will issue a final ruling.

Togo tops the qualifying group with 10 points after five games and Mali was in last place. If the result holds up, Mali will be mathematically eliminated from qualifying for the 2006 World Cup finals in Germany.

After the game, thousands of irate fans gathered in central Bamako where they began chanting threats at Mali players.

"Give us Frederic Kanoute and Mamadou Bakayoko," they shouted. "We're going to kill them!"

Presidential spokesman Seydou Sissouma said all players were "secured" under guard.

Mali Prime Minister Ousmane Issoufi Maiga went on national radio and said his government would work to repair the damage caused by Mali's "unsporting behaviour."

The events in Mali come on the heels of five soccer fans being crushed to death Saturday in Tehran following Iran's World Cup qualifying match with Japan.

More than 100,000 spectators were packed into Azadi Stadium to watch Iran's 2-1 triumph over Japan.

A stampede began when hordes of fans raced for the exits at the end of the match, a doctor told a TV broadcast.

About 40 other people were injured in the incident, at least five critically, according to the report.