Premier League: Manchester United remains winless

Angel Di Maria's promising debut failed to inspire lacklustre Manchester United to its first EPL win of the season as Burnley held on for a 0-0 draw on Saturday.

Troubled team held to 0-0 draw by Burnley

Manchester United newcomer Angel Di Maria, middle, is surrounded in a 0-0 draw with Burnley at Turf Moor on Saturday. (Andrew Yates/Reuters)

Angel Di Maria's promising debut failed to inspire lacklustre Manchester United to a first win of the season on Saturday as Burnley held on for a 0-0 draw in the Premier League.

The Argentina midfielder, signed for a British-record fee of $99 million US from Real Madrid on Tuesday, played in central midfield and was one of United's best players at Turf Moor before being substituted in the 70th minute.

Di Maria set up United's best two chances of the first half, his raking ball setting up Robin van Persie for a chance that was parried away by goalkeeper Tom Heaton while Juan Mata slipped as he attempted to convert Di Maria's cross.

United has just two points from three games under new manager Louis van Gaal despite spending about $215 million this summer. That figure is likely to grow before Monday's transfer deadline, with United announcing hours before the game that it has reached an agreement with Ajax for the signing of versatile Netherlands international Daley Blind.

Sticking with his 3-5-2 formation after Tuesday's embarrassing 4-0 loss to third-tier MK Dons in the League Cup, Van Gaal will be happy to see his much-maligned defence keep a first clean sheet but there was a lack of cutting edge going forward. That despite fielding Di Maria alongside Mata, Van Persie and Wayne Rooney in an exciting-looking forward line.

Burnley earned a first point since promotion from the League Championship and was comfortable for most of the game, although Di Maria stretched them at times.

He displayed a good range of passing — exemplified by that brilliant long ball for Van Persie's chance in the 15th — and always seemed free in the middle of the pitch. He also showed a good turn of pace to spark attacks, but faded after his impressive start. After flexing his legs following a heavy challenge, he was replaced by Anderson.

Van Persie had a goal-bound shot cleared away from near the line in the 59th and the Netherlands striker looked United's most dangerous forward on a day when Rooney and Mata, who went off with a right hamstring injury, failed to have an influence.

Burnley came close early when David Jones curled a free kick against the crossbar, but the hosts mostly defended after that. In the dying stages of the match, United thought it should have had a penalty when Ashley Young's shot appeared to hit Ashley Barnes' arm.

Stoke 1, Manchester City 0

Mame Diouf scored a spectacular solo goal to give Stoke a surprising 1-0 win over defending champion Manchester City.

Diouf received the ball on the edge of his own area and ran the length of the pitch in the 58th minute before slotting a low shot between the legs of Joe Hart, which the England goalkeeper, arguably, should have kept out.

It was Stoke's first win of the season and it's first top-flight away victory over City since 1980.

It also gave Mark Hughes a memorable victory against his former club, while dealing City its first setback of the campaign after opening with two wins.

Newcastle 3, Crystal Palace 3

Wilfried Zaha marked his return to Crystal Palace with a late equalizer to secure a 3-3 draw at Newcastle.

Zaha netted five minutes into injury time to salvage a point for Palace, which twice surrendered the lead in new manager Neil Warnock's first game in charge.

Mike Williamson thought he had given Newcastle its first win of the season with his first goal for five years in the 88th minute, after Daryl Janmaat and Rolando Aarons had cancelled out earlier efforts from Dwight Gayle and Jason Puncheon.

Gayle scored after just 30 seconds, giving Warnock a perfect start to his second reign at the club after replacing Tony Pulis, who left just before the start of the season.

Southampton 3, West Ham 1

Morgan Schneiderlin scored twice as Southampton beat West Ham, 3-1 to earn a first win of the season under new manager Ronald Koeman.

Mark Noble's deflected shot gave West Ham the lead in the 27th only for Schneiderlin to equalize on the stroke of halftime, curling a shot inside the far post after an initial effort was blocked.

Schneiderlin, who pushed to leave Southampton over the summer, put the team ahead in the 68th by flicking home James Ward-Prowse's cross following a short corner.

Summer signing Graziano Pelle added a third with his debut goal for the visitors in the 83rd after goalkeeper Adrian palmed out a cross from right back Nathaniel Clyne.

West Ham paraded loan-signing Alex Song before kickoff.

Queens Park 1, Sunderland 0

Queens Park Rangers beat Sunderland, 1-0 to come off the bottom of the Premier League with its first win this season.

Charlie Austin scored the hosts' first league goal of this campaign to relieve the pressure on QPR manager Harry Redknapp.

Austin struck in the second minute of first-half stoppage time at Loftus Road, firing high into the net from a well-worked corner after a headed pass from summer recruit Leroy Fer.

QPR has three points after three matches, one more than Sunderland.

Swansea 3, West Bromich 0

Swansea kept up its perfect start to the Premier League season with a 3-0 victory against West Bromwich Albion, with Nathan Dyer scoring twice.

Dyer struck early for the hosts with a right-foot shot to the bottom left corner after being set up by Gylfi Sigurdsson in the second minute at the Liberty Stadium.

Wayne Routledge made it 2-0 in the 24th from outside the area and Dyer grabbed his second in the 71st with another assist from Sigurdsson.

The Welsh club now has three wins in three matches while winless West Brom has just two points.

Chelsea 6, Everton 3

Chelsea scored twice inside the opening three minutes and three more times in a chaotic 11-minute spell in the second half on its way to a wild 6-3 win over Everton, clinching a third straight Premier League victory.

Diego Costa began the rout with a goal after 34 seconds and ended it in the final minute to take his tally to four goals in three games since joining from Atletico Madrid over the summer.

Branislav Ivanovic added to Costa's early goal to leave Everton 2-0 down at Goodison Park, but Kevin Mirallas reduced the deficit just before halftime.

Seamus Coleman's own goal made it 3-1, with Nemanja Matic and Ramires also scoring for Jose Mourinho's side.

Steven Naismith and Samuel Eto'o were Chelsea's other scorers.

Saturday Boxscores


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.