Defending champion Montpellier is still winless in the French league this season after Andre-Pierre Gignac's second-half goal gave Marseille a 1-0 win on Sunday.

Gignac scored in the 77th minute to ensure Marseille maintained its perfect start to the campaign.

Montpellier produced little of note and has just one point from three games after its first home defeat since September. Younes Belhanda hit the post in the first half with a header, but it wouldn't have counted as teammate Emanuel Herrera was offside.

Elsewhere, Saint-Etienne picked up its first points of the season by beating Brest 4-0. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored twice, either side of goals from Romain Hamouma and Josuha Guilavogui.

Montpellier was lucky not to be behind as early as the 13th minute, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa bundled over Gignac just inside the area but the referee waved away Marseille's claims for a penalty.

Marseille dominated much of the first half and kept up the pressure on Montpellier's defence, but it was the home side that looked the more threatening on the counter.

Belhanda hitting the post drew an immediate response from Marseille, with Gignac heading Mathieu Valbuena's header just over the crossbar from close range.

Souleymane Camara came close to giving Montpellier the lead but he headed a corner just wide in the 52nd minute.

Valbuena almost put Marseille in front in stunning fashion when a poor clearance from Montpellier goalkeeper Geoffrey Jourdren fell straight to him, but his attempted 45-yard lob flew narrowly wide.

Gignac won the match with a low, right-footed shot for his second goal in as many games.

Marseille could have doubled its lead in stoppage time but Loic Remy's low shot scraped the outside of the right post.

Saint-Etienne needed a good result after two defeats and Aubameyang got it off to a great start when he volleyed low past goalkeeper Alexis Thebaux after a perfect cross from Hamouma. He almost doubled his tally but fired against the post after again being set up by Hamouma.

Hamouma then turned scorer on the half-hour mark, with his first goal since signing from relegated Caen in the off-season.

Guilavogui added a deserved third just after the hour mark, before Aubameyang grabbed his second of the game moments later.