World Cup Appearances:
All Time Record:
22 games played, 6 wins, 7 draws, 9 losses
Best World Cup Finish: 2nd round, 1986, 1998 & 2002
Top Scorer: Nelson Cuevas (3 goals)
- World Cup post-game: Spain 1, Paraguay 0
- David Villa scored in the 83rd minute to lift Spain to its first-ever FIFA World Cup semifinal appearance after dispatching Paraguay 1-0 in Johannesburg.
- Paraguay loses coach, star striker
- Coach Gerardo Martino is leaving the Paraguay national team and striker Roque Santa Cruz says this was his last World Cup.
- Iniesta sublime in Spanish win
- The stylish but humble Andres Iniesta may just be the best midfielder in the game today, and he's become an indispensable player for semifinalist Spain.
- Villa sees Spain to World Cup semis
- David Villa scored in the 83rd minute to give Spain a 1-0 win over Paraguay and its first-ever berth in the World Cup semifinals.
- Penalty kicks could help decide World Cup
- Paraguay beat Japan in the first match of the 2010 World Cup tournament to be decided by penalty kicks, but history suggests it won't be the last.
- South America revels in strong World Cup showing
- Across South America, soccer fans are feeling the joy of victory, spiked with a twist of revenge.
- World Cup post-game: Paraguay wins on penalties
- South America will have yet another quarter-finalist at the FIFA World Cup as Paraguay defeated Japan 5-3 in penalty kicks Tuesday in Pretoria, South Africa.
- Paraguay holds its nerve
- The Paraguayans held their nerve in the penalty shootout against Japan and are now on their way to the quarter-finals at the World Cup.
- Paraguay beats Japan on penalty kicks
- Paraguay waited 80 years to make the FIFA World Cup quarter-finals, and needed an extra 40 minutes to eliminate Japan via penalty kicks in Pretoria on Tuesday.
- World Cup post-game: New Zealand 0, Paraguay 0
- A scoreless draw against New Zealand was all Paraguay needed to become the fourth South American club to advance to the round of 16.
Spain ends Albirroja's tournament