World Cup Appearances:
All Time Record:
10 games played, 2 wins, 2 draws, 6 losses
Best World Cup Finish: 2nd round, 2002
Top Scorer: Junichi Inamoto (2 goals)
- World Cup post-game: Paraguay wins on penalties
- South America will have yet another quarter-finalist at the FIFA World Cup as Paraguay defeated Japan 5-3 in penalty kicks Tuesday in Pretoria, South Africa.
- Japan's Nakamura ends international career
- Japan midfielder Shunsuke Nakamura has announced his retirement from international football.
- Okada won't be back as Japan coach
- Japan coach Takeshi Okada feels his work is done despite the team falling short of his lofty goal of reaching the World Cup semifinals.
- Paraguay holds its nerve
- The Paraguayans held their nerve in the penalty shootout against Japan and are now on their way to the quarter-finals at the World Cup.
- Paraguay beats Japan on penalty kicks
- Paraguay waited 80 years to make the FIFA World Cup quarter-finals, and needed an extra 40 minutes to eliminate Japan via penalty kicks in Pretoria on Tuesday.
- World Cup post-game: Japan 3, Denmark 1
- Japan is through to the second round of the FIFA World Cup following a convincing 3-1 win over Denmark on Thursday in Rustenburg, South Africa.
- Japan free kick prowess dooms Danes
- Keisuke Honda and Yasuhito Endo scored on blistering free kicks 13 minutes apart to lead Japan over Denmark in what amounted to an elimination game at the World Cup in Rustenburg.
- Bendtner an X-factor: Japanese coach
- Japan coach Takeshi Okada is predicting a tough encounter against Denmark in the team's final World Cup group match Thursday, especially if Danish forward Nicklas Bendtner is fit to play.
- World Cup post-game: Netherlands 1, Japan 0
- The Netherlands is on the verge of qualifying for the second round of the FIFA World Cup following a 1-0 win over Japan on Saturday in Durban, South Africa.
- Sneijder goal gives Dutch a treat
- Wesley Sneijder scored on 53 minutes to give the Netherlands a 1-0 victory over Japan in Group E action at the FIFA World Cup on Saturday afternoon.
Albirroja perfect on penalties vs. Japan