World Cup Appearances:
All Time Record:
92 games played, 55 wins, 19 draws, 18 losses
Best World Cup Finish: Champions, 1952, 1974 and 1990
Top Scorer: Gerd Muller (14 goals)
- World Cup post-game: Germany 3, Uruguay 2
- Germany defeated Uruguay 3-2 in a highly entertaining third-place FIFA World Cup match in Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
- Germany's pointless place on the 'podium'
- In the so-called "bronze medal" game the Germans held sway over Uruguay. Except there are no medals, and there is no point.
- Mueller holds the Golden Boot tiebreaker
- If David Villa and Wesley Sneijder fail to score in the final between Spain and the Netherlands, it is likely that Germany's Thomas Mueller will lay claim to the Golden Boot.
- Germany 3rd at World Cup after seesaw match
- Sami Khedira scored with a header in the 82nd minute to give Germany a 3-2 victory over Uruguay in the FIFA World Cup third-place match.
- Loew heading into final match at helm?
- Germany's young players will be older, more experienced and quite possibly better by the time of the next World Cup. Whether coach Joachim Loew is there to guide them is unclear.
- Germany, Uruguay promise a show
- Players from Uruguay and Germany have to lift themselves one final time in Saturday's third-place match at Port Elizabeth's Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium (CBC, CBCSports.ca, 2 p.m. ET).
- Klose might miss Uruguay match
- Germany striker Miroslav Klose could miss the third-place match against Uruguay because of injury, and with it a chance to overtake Brazil's Ronaldo as the top scorer in World Cup history.
- World Cup post-game: Spain 1, Germany 0
- Spain is now one step closer to its first FIFA World Cup title after a 1-0 semifinal victory over Germany Wednesday in Durban, South Africa.
- Honigstein: Ballack on the outs with Germany?
- The German team has emancipated itself from Michael Ballack, the leading player of his generation and undisputed alpha male until his ankle injury.
- Mueller's suspension proves costly for Germans
- Germany missed the attacking thrust of the suspended Thomas Mueller in the World Cup semifinals on Wednesday, creating few chances before losing 1-0 to a dominant Spain.
Germans take 3rd after seesaw matchup