England drops Poland to clinch World Cup berth

Wayne Rooney and Steven Gerrard booked England's place at the World Cup on Tuesday, clinching a 2-0 victory over Poland and leaving Ukraine to settle for a place in the playoffs.

Wayne Rooney scores for England, Ukraine settles for spot in playoffs

Recap of World Cup qualifying matches. 1:35

Wayne Rooney and Steven Gerrard booked England's place at the World Cup on Tuesday, clinching a 2-0 victory over Poland and leaving Ukraine to settle for a place in the playoffs.

Rooney put England ahead with his seventh goal in his last six qualifiers, meeting Leighton Baines' cross to head in just before halftime.

"Getting the goal gave us some belief, the confidence to go on," Rooney said. "We believed we could win and then Stevie's goal has seen us qualify."

Gerrard bundled the ball into the net in the 88th to secure top spot in Group H for unbeaten England.

Ukraine, which needed England to slip up to qualify automatically, cruised to an 8-0 victory over bottom-place San Marino with Marko Devic scoring a hat trick.

The Group H runners-up will contest a two-legged playoff against a European rival next month for a place at the finals in Brazil.

England, though, is already preparing for its fifth consecutive World Cup, with Roy Hodgson the first English manager of the team to secure qualification since Glenn Hoddle in 1997. England was led into the 2002 and 2006 World Cups by Sven-Goran Eriksson, and into the 2010 tournament by Fabio Capello.

"I'm English and you can't get away from the fact it means a little bit more to you when you do it with your own nation," said Hodgson, who managed Switzerland at the 1994 World Cup that England missed out on.

The presence of at least 18,000 Polish fans inside Wembley made for a lively atmosphere, even though the visitors were already out of contention for the World Cup.

Poland seemed determined to end the campaign on a high, with Robert Lewandowski unsettling the England defence from the start.

The hosts, though, did have their chances — the first coming from Andros Townsend, who marked his England debut on Friday with a goal in the 4-1 victory over Montenegro.

Although Townsend's shot was repelled by Wojciech Szczesny, Danny Welbeck followed up with a diving header that went wide.

On a night when England had to be strong at the back, the defence was looking shaky, with Waldemar Sobota finding a way through but only hitting the sidenetting.

Even by the midway point of the first half, England was failing to contain the Polish threat, giving the ball away following its own corner and allowing Adrian Mierzejewski to a launch a counterattack. After picking up possession in his own half, Mierzejewski ran down the pitch before releasing Lewandowski, who could only sidefoot wide.

In an open game, the action was end to end, with England defender Phil Jagielka heading off-target from a corner, Townsend curling against the crossbar from the edge of the area, and Welbeck stabbing the ball wide.

Nerves show

As nerves increased for the home fans on a night when England had to win to qualify, the breakthrough came in the 41st minute.

Baines whipped in cross from the left and Rooney, having just lost a headband protecting an injury, flicked the ball into the net with his head.

With just the solitary goal, England was always at risk of throwing away its guaranteed place in Brazil.

And Hodgson's side struggled to find the net again after the break, although Poland nearly gifted England another 10 minutes into the second half when Grzegorz Krychowiak turned the ball just wide of his own goal.

The target also eluded England players, with Gerrard blasting the ball around the post, Rooney's curling strike saved and Daniel Sturridge's shot palmed away.

It took Gerrard to ease the anxieties by lifting the ball over Szczesny late on with his outstretched right foot.

"The big lesson is to play better in the second half," Gerrard said. "Against better teams we might get hurt. We need to keep the ball better.

"But what we have shown is, when the going gets tough, we don't concede goals."

In San Marino, Ukraine took 13 minutes to take the lead, with Yevhen Seleznyov converting from the penalty spot to start the onslaught.

Devic rolled in his first goal between the legs of goalkeeper Aldo Simoncini two minutes later inside the box, and Seleznyov headed in his second in the 19th after meeting Ruslan Rotan's free kick.

It took Ukraine until six minutes into the second half to find the net again, with Devic headed his second goal before Andriy Yarmolenko's left-footed strike.

San Marino was reduced to 10 men after Mirko Palazzi conceded a penalty, and Devic converted from the spot.

After just a minute on the pitch, Roman Bezus was on the scoresheet in the 65th before Vitaliy Mondziuk rounded off the rout in the final moments.

San Marino finished 11 points adrift of Moldova, which rounded of its qualifying campaign with a 5-2 victory at third-place Montenegro.


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.