cabanas-salvador090905getty

Salvador Cabanas, right, was Paraguay's top scorer in the World Cup qualifiers, with six goals, and scored crucial goals in big wins over Brazil and Chile. He's made progress since being shot in the head last month. ((PABLO BURGOS/AFP/Getty Images))

A doctor treating Salvador Cabanas, the soccer player who was shot in the head in a Mexico City bar, has not ruled out the possibility the Paraguay striker will play again.

Cabanas, 29, still has a bullet lodged in his skull, which will stay there. Doctors have said that trying to remove it is too risky.

During an update Friday, Dr. Ernesto Martinez said it was too early to tell if Cabanas might resume his career. But he said the Club America star has improved daily since the shooting just before dawn Jan. 25.

"It's premature to say if he will be able to play, but his recovery is good," Martinez said. "Playing football involves not only walking and running, but mental co-ordination, thinking and strategy. We don't know about this yet."

Martinez said Cabanas was receiving daily therapy but declined to speculate how long that might last.

"He's a strong, healthy man," Martinez said. "Things are going in the right direction. We can't say exactly how long he will be in intensive therapy or how long he'll be in the hospital. We don't know."

The attack on Cabanas appears to have grown out of an argument he had with Jose Jorge Balderas Garza, the main suspect.

Police have said little about their progress locating Balderas Garza. Widespread reports have suggested he told Cabanas he had not been scoring enough goals for America. The point-blank shooting took place moments later in the bar's washroom.

Cabanas was expected to lead Paraguay in the World Cup in South Africa, which opens on June 11.