Del Bosque has contract extended
Spain national team coach Vicente del Bosque has agreed to a two-year contract extension through 2012, the Spanish soccer federation (RFEF) said on Wednesday.
"It was a unanimous decision by the RFEF's board of directors," federation president Angel Villar said. "We have a great coach."
Villar added that Del Bosque will remain at the helm until UEFA EURO 2012, regardless of how Spain does at the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
Del Bosque, who turned 59 on Wednesday, took over the reins as national team coach from Luis Aragones after Spain won Euro 2008. Since then, the former Real Madrid midfielder helped Spain book its spot at next year’s World Cup in South Africa with a perfect 10-0 record in the qualifiers.
Spain has won 21 of 22 games under Del Bosque (the lone loss coming against the U.S. in the semifinals of this year's Confederations Cup) and La Roja are considered one of the favourites to win next year's World Cup.
"There is a lot of excitement, we have a great national team and we are all hopeful that it can be a great World Cup," Villar said. "But words are one thing, facts are another. We're going there with hope."