Champions League: Real Madrid draws group with Liverpool
Defending champion Real Madrid will start its Champions League campaign against five-time winner Liverpool, FC Basel and Bulgarian club Ludogorets Razgrad.
The 10-time champions were drawn into Group B on Thursday.
Barcelona and Ajax, both former clubs of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, were drawn to face the Sweden striker's current team, Paris Saint-Germain, and APOEL, while four-time champion Bayern Munich, Manchester City, CSKA Moscow and Roma are in perhaps the toughest group.
Also, Arsenal will face Borussia Dortmund for the third time in four seasons. Galatasaray and Anderlecht are also in that group. In another Germany vs. England draw, Chelsea's group includes Schalke alongside Sporting Lisbon and Maribor.
The eight four-team groups begin play on Sept. 16-17. The top two teams in each group advance to knockout round.
Champions League group breakdown:
- Group A—Atletico Madrid (Spain), Juventus (Italy), Olympiakos (Greece), Malmo (Sweden)
- Group B—Real Madrid (Spain), Basel (Switzerland), Liverpool (England), Ludogorets Razgrad (Bulgaria)
- Group C—Benfica (Portugal), Zenit St. Petersburg (Russia), Bayer Leverkusen (Germany), Monaco (France)
- Group D—Arsenal (England), Borussia Dortmund (Germany), Galatasaray (Turkey), Anderlecht (Belgium)
- Group E—Bayern Munich (Germany), Manchester City (England), CSKA Moscow (Russia), AS Roma (Italy)
- Group F—Barcelona (Spain), Paris Saint-Germain (France), Ajax (Netherlands), APOEL (Cyprus)
- Group G—Chelsea (England), Schalke (Germany), Sporting Lisbon (Portugal), Maribor (Slovenia)
- Group H—Porto (Portugal), Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine), Athletic Bilbao (Spain), BATE Borisov (Belarus)