Download Flash Player to view this content.

After the last-minute draw last week, fans at BMO Field were on the edge of their seats for 94 minutes in Toronto's 1-0 win over Real Salt Lake on Saturday.

The victory means TFC is still alive for the eighth and final playoff spot in the MLS Eastern Conference.

"We've still got next week," Toronto FC interim head coach Chris Cummins said. "If we don't go out and perform next week, then today has been worth nothing as such. Of course, we've still got to rely on other teams."

Real Salt Lake came out strong in the first half, pressing Toronto for the first 20 minutes.

In the 26th minute, Real Salt Lake forward Fabian Espindola found teammate Yura Movsisyan, who got in alone on Brian Edwards. The TFC keeper made an incredible save, his second in the first half.

"They threw everything at us but the kitchen sink," Cummins said. "Eddie's come up with some massive saves for us today. He's been outstanding."

Making big plays

Real Salt Lake coaching staff was of similar thinking.

"(Edwards) made some fantastic plays, that is what it is about — guys making big plays," Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis said.

Play quickly shifted to the visitors' end.

A scramble in front of the Real Salt Lake goal gave TFC a great scoring opportunity. As the home side pressed deep into the Salt Lake end, there was a series of headers and blocked shots but the ball was eventually cleared.

Only five minutes later, Salt Lake defender Tony Beltran took down Chad Barrett in the visiting box resulting in a free kick.

Amado Guevaras's free kick was tipped by Real Salt Lake keeper Nick Ramando and rattled off the top bar.

The half ended with the score tied 0-0.

Toronto scored three minutes into the second after a long pass found Chad Barrett, his shot was stopped but Jim Brennan followed the play and scored into the open cage.

"We were confident that we could hold them out for the last few minutes there and we did," Brennan said.

The home side had a chance to double the led after Barrett's tip pass to O'Brian White sprung the forward who nearly beat Ramando.     

Real Salt Lake continued to press late into the second half but Edwards made several saves in the last 10 minutes to seal the victory and keep his team alive.

"It felt a lot like last week and games in the past," Edwards said. "But we were able to keep the high line. We were able to get out, to connect passes and get in behind them a couple of times, kind of put pressure on them and not just suck it up for 20, 30 minutes."