David Beckham's recovery from an Achilles tendon injury is taking longer than expected, with the England midfielder saying Monday that he won't be fit to play again until November.
That means Beckham will not feature in Major League Soccer this season, unless the Los Angeles Galaxy can reach the playoffs. The next England game he is likely to be fit for would be the 2012 European Championship qualifier against Wales on March 29, 2011.
Beckham underwent surgery in March after rupturing his left Achilles tendon while on loan at AC Milan. He had previously said he expected to be back in action by September.
"I won't be running for another three months, so I will be playing again in, probably, November," Beckham said in a video posted Monday on ABC's website.
'My mentality is to kind of push it and get moving and running as soon as possible. But it's an injury that has to take time to heal.'—David Beckham
Beckham was still on crutches Monday when he went to the ABC studios.
"My mentality is to kind of push it and get moving and running as soon as possible. But it's an injury that has to take time to heal," Beckham said in a separate TV interview. "It's frustrating. It's obviously disappointing because I've been working for the last two years to get into the English squad (for the World Cup)."
Despite the injury, Beckham is still set to travel with England to the World Cup in South Africa. England opens its campaign against the United States on June 12.
"At the moment, it's just getting the motion back into the ankle, the tendon, because it's still repairing," Beckham said on the MLS website. "I'm trying to get mobilization back into the ankle."