Antonio Conte says he decided to step down as Italy coach after the European Championship because he misses the day-to-day life of club soccer, and has denied he has already agreed to lead Chelsea next season.

In his first press conference since last week's announcement, Conte says "I'm not tempted by anything in England, because I am still national coach."

Although Conte has been linked with a move to Chelsea, he says he "could also start again with an Italian team."

The former Juventus player and coach, who took over Italy's national team after the 2014 World Cup, says it is difficult "to spend so much time in the garage."

Italy hosts Spain on Thursday before facing World Cup champion Germany five days later.