Stops, starts, transitions and footwork
Last Updated: September 29, 2008 3:39 PM
Kristina Rutherford Practice Planner
Purpose: Practicing skating fundamentals, including pivots, backwards skating and crossovers.
- Players line up in the corner (with our without pucks)
- One at a time they skate forwards diagonally towards the opposite blueline
- Halfway across the ice, players pivot and begin skating backwards towards the blueline, where they stop
- Players do lateral crossovers half way across the blueline and then skate forwards to the far boards, where they stop
- Players continue skating backwards to the centre faceoff dot, where they pivot to a forward position
- They stop at the blueline and skate hard to the opposite corner
- An alternate option is adding pucks and a shot at the end of the drill (shown here)
- Ensure players face the same direction on all pivots and for all crossovers
- Run the drill from opposite ends to work on transitions from both sides.
« Shootout game | Practice Planner home | Scoring chances off the cycle »