Stanley Cup Stories: Leafs, Red Wings survive thrillers
Kings come back for series win
Goalie James Reimer rescued the Maple Leafs, Dustin Penner and the Kings stunned the Blues, and Henrik Zetterberg kept the Detroit Red Wings alive in the top NHL stories from Friday:
1. It was Toronto's turn to play spoiler. The Bruins had the Maple Leafs at the brink of elimination, but Toronto turned the tables in Boston and hung on for a 2-1 win in Game 5. Leafs goalie James Reimer made 43 saves, including this one, to steal the game and draw more comparisons to Transformers characters. Can the Maple Leafs do it again in Game 6 on Sunday (CBC, CBCSports.ca, 7 p.m. ET)?
2. The reigning Stanley Cup champs are moving on. The Los Angeles Kings rallied from a 2-0 series deficit to eliminate the St. Louis Blues in Game 6. This buzzer-beater by Dustin Penner, and eventual game-winner, broke a 1-1 tie in the final second of the first period. Drew Doughty scored his first goal of the post-season and Jonathan Quick was brilliant to help the Kings preserve the 2-1 win.
3. Henrik Zetterberg scored 1:04 into overtime as Detroit forced a Game 7 against Anaheim. The Red Wings captain broke out of a scoring slump with two goals in the thrilling, back-and-forth affair with the Ducks. Anaheim scored two goals in under a minute but the Red Wings came out on top, 4-3. Game 7 takes place Sunday in Anaheim (10 p.m. ET).
4. New York looked great for the opening minute of Game 5 with this goal from Brian Boyle. But the Washington Capitals overcame penalty troubles and eventually took control. Capitals centre Mike Ribeiro scored the 2-1 OT winner to send the series back to Broadway with a 3-2 lead. Will the Rangers answer back on Sunday? (4:30 p.m. ET)
5. Pittsburgh defenceman Kris Letang calls Sidney Crosby "the best player in the world." But is the Penguins captain a no-brainer for the Hart Trophy? Have your say here. Crosby and the Pens meet the New York Islanders for Game 6 on Saturday (7 p.m. ET). Will the Penguins finish off New York, or will Islanders sniper John Tavares show why he also earned a spot on the MVP ballot?