Savard's OT winner leads Bruins over Flyers

Marc Savard celebrated his return from two months away by scoring the winning goal in overtime as the Boston Bruins beat the Philadelphia Flyers 5-4 in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference semifinal.

Philly goaltender Boucher comes close to stealing one

Out of darkness came a bright moment for Marc Savard.

The Boston star, who hadn't played in two months after suffering a bad concussion, rifled a shot past goaltender Brian Boucher at 13:52 of the first overtime to give his Bruins a 5-4 victory over Philadelphia in Game 1 of the best-of-seven East semifinal on Saturday.

Savard, who had been quiet most of the game, took advantage of a rolling puck that he flew up over the shoulder of the Flyers' keeper, ending an astonishing display by Boucher in the extra frame.

Savard had last been on the ice March 7, when he was clocked by Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke in a controversial hit to the head.

"It's been a whirlwind for me. Obviously, I went through a lot of tough days," said Savard, who received a big cheer for his first shift. "When I got out there, there was a little water in my eyes at first. The crowd treated me great. My teammates were great with me all day. And I just wanted to fit in. … I guess you can't script it any better."

Boston outshot Philly 15-4 in the overtime, and most of those were good ones.

Included was a flurry in the opening seconds that included pure robbery on Daniel Paille, a sleight-of-hand in picking off a backhand by Mark Recchi and then a wraparound by Miroslav Satan that Boucher grabbed out of the air.

But there was nothing the goalie could do about the winner.

"[Savard] put it in a great spot," Boucher said. "But that's why they're glad to have him back."

Steve Begin, Patrick Bergeron, Satan and Krejci scored in regulation for Boston, while Ryan Parent, Chris Pronger, Mike Richards and Daniel Briere replied for Philadelphia.

The final two of the Flyer goals came in the latter stages of the third period after Boston had taken a 4-2 lead.

Tuuka Rask faced 36 Philadelphia shots in the Bruins' goal.

Bruins almost blew it

Boston led this one 3-2 into the third period and seemed ready to grab it by the throat after Krejci outwaited Boucher in front of the net to create a 4-2 lead seven minutes in.

But the Flyers weren't done, and they chipped away.

First there was a power-play goal by Richards, who had lots of room after Rask made a save and the rebound went to the goalie's right where everybody but Richards wasn't.

That made it 4-3 with 7:23 left.

The tying goal late in the third was a thing of beauty that started in the Flyers' zone.

Scooting down the middle of the ice, Briere barrelled through defencemen Matt Hunwick and Dennis Wideman and put a quick flick shot on Rask that was stopped but produced a rebound.

Briere picked it up, went to his right and fired it over the sprawled backstop to make it 4-4 with 3:22 left in the frame.

Rask had to make a couple of excellent stops late in the third to send the game to overtime.

With files from The Associated Press