Ryan O'Reilly, Sabres forward, charged with impaired driving
NHLer reportedly drove pickup into Tim Hortons
Ontario Provincial Police have charged Buffalo Sabres forward Ryan O'Reilly with impaired driving.
The OPP said Monday in a release that police were dispatched to a single motor vehicle crash on July 9, where a green Chevrolet pickup truck struck a commercial retail building and the occupants left the vehicle.
Media reports say the truck crashed into a Tim Hortons in Lucan, Ont.
"We are aware of the reports regarding the incident involving Ryan O'Reilly last week," Sabres general manager Tim Murray said in a statement. "We are currently in the process of gathering more information and will have no further comment until we have spoken with all parties involved."
The release said O'Reilly was arrested and taken to the Middlesex County OPP detachment for breath testing.
Along with impaired driving, the 24-year-old from Bluewater, Ont., has also been charged with care or control over 80 milligrams and failing to remain at the scene of an accident.
He was released on a promise to appear and is scheduled in a London, Ont., court on Aug. 20.
In an Instagram post seven weeks ago, O'Reilly posted a picture of a green Chevrolet pickup truck that he said he had just purchased.
O'Reilly was traded from the Colorado Avalanche to Buffalo in June along with forward Jamie McGinn for Mikhail Grigorenko, JT Compher, defenceman Nikita Zadorov and the 31st pick of June's NHL draft.
The Sabres signed O'Reilly to a seven-year contract extension on July 3 for $52.5 million US.