The National Hockey League learned a tough lesson this week; if you ask hockey fans to vote for something, be prepared to honour the consequences.
To get you up to speed, here's the TL;DR from the past week of NHL All-Star Game drama:
- The NHL asked fans to vote for a captain for the all-star game
- Fans voted enforcer John Scott as captain of the Pacific Division
- Scott was traded to another team (Montreal) in another division and quickly demoted to the AHL
- …and then Twitter got involved.
As soon as Scott's trade was announced, the social site exploded with comments, memes and the hashtag #FreeJohnScott.
- John Scott's NHL all-star eligibility unclear following trade
- Don Cherry rips fans for voting John Scott to all-star game
However, Tuesday saw the NHL uphold the will of the fans, and @BrandonGatten sums it up best…
#FreeJohnScott was a success people! The power of social media wins again!— @BrandonGatten