Michael Clarke's power-play goal in the third overtime period earned the St. Francis Xavier X-Men a dramatic 2-1 semifinal win over the Saskatchewan Huskies at the CIS men's hockey championship Saturday.

Clarke scored his fourth goal of the tournament at 17:35 of the third overtime to earn the X-Men their first national championship appearance since 2004.

"We needed to come through on the power play," Clarke said. "I wanted to put the puck on net, and I was able to get a good shot away."

St. FX will face New Brunswick in Sunday's final after the Varsity Reds blanked the Saint Mary's Huskies 4-0 in the other semifinal.

Christopher Clapperton opened the scoring for UNB 3:37 into the first period and Philippe Halley added a hat trick, scoring once in the second and twice in the third.

"He (Halley) gets better every game and he is a key difference maker for us," Varsity Reds head coach Gardiner MacDougall said.

Varsity Reds goaltender Etienne Marcoux made 13 saves for the win. Cole Cheveldave stopped 28 of 32 shots for the Huskies.

Saint Mary's takes on Saskatchewan in the bronze medal game.

Thunderbirds will face Carabins for women's title

Haneet Parhar scored the winner in the eighth round of the shootout as the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds edged the Guelph Gryphons 2-1 in the semifinals of the CIS women's hockey championship on Saturday.

The Thunderbirds will get a chance at their first national title on Sunday when they face the Montreal Carabins in the championship game. Montreal edged the Saint Mary's Huskies 3-2 in the other semi.

"I didn't even have my stick on the bench. My coach leaned over and said we had worked on this in practice. You're shooting. You know what to do," Parhar said. "We don't stop. No matter what happens to us, we're still going and we don't lose faith in each other. We all believed we could do this and win."

Kelly Murray tied the game at 1-1 with a power-play goal in the third for UBC. The Thunderbirds appeared to win the game with just under two minutes remaining in overtime, only to have the goal called off for goalie interference.

Kaitlin Lowy scored a power-play goal in the first period for the Gryphons.

Danielle Dube made 36 saves through regulation and overtime for the win in net. Valerie Lamenta kicked out 31-of-32 shots for Guelph.