The Canadian junior team is preparing for the tournament in Russia at a selection camp in Calgary. Observations from the intrasquad game Tuesday at WinSport's Markin MacPhail Centre, won by the Reds over the Whites, 3-1.
- The passing game of Moose Jaw defenceman Morgan Rielly was precise and noticeable on the big ice.
- Kudos to the Dallas Stars scouting staff. They have a good prospect in Brett Ritchie of the Niagara IceDogs and they snatched him in the second round (44th overall) in 2011. He's physical — he hammered Matt Dumba in second period — and had the most scoring chances .
- Halifax forwards Jonathan Drouin and Nathan MacKinnon, both 17, are so good that this may be their last chance to play in a world juniors because they'll be in the NHL next season.
- Two scouts I trust told me that Rielly, Dougie Hamilton, Ryan Murphy, Scott Harrington and Xavier Ouellett were locks on the blue-line.
- Erie's Adam Pelech was so steady in this game. He made a strong bid on the first day in snatching one of the two vacant spots.
- Ouellett was back skating on Tuesday, but he was held out of the intra-squad game to rest his ankle injury.
- Belleville goalie Malcolm Subban will give Canada its first dominant goalie since Carey Price in 2007. He follows the play so well and as a result is always in position. Among the handful of big stops he made, he stoned Anthony Camara.
- I feel sorry for Ottawa's Sean Monahan, who turns 18 on Wednesday. He arrived at camp having not seen any game action since Nov. 20 after getting nailed for a 10-game suspension for an elbow to the head of Plymouth captain Colin MacDonald.
- Remarkable that a standing-room crowd of 5,500 showed up for an intra-squad game.
The Canadian juniors will play exhibition games against the CIS's No. 1-ranked Alberta Golden Bears on Wednesday and a combination of university teams from Calgary and Lethbridge on Thursday. Final cuts are expected Thursday evening.
The team will fly to Europe on Saturday after practice.
Red: Phillip Danault (14:20, 3rd), Frank Corrado (18:57, 3rd), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (19:47, ENG, 3rd).
White: Hunter Shinkauk (14:56, 3rd).
Red: Jordan Binninton (5-5); Laurent Brossoit (17-18).
White: Jake Paterson (10-10); Malcolm Subban(14-16).
Red: Jonathan Huberdeau - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Mark Scheifele; Jonathan Drouin - Nathan MacKinnon - J.C. Lipon; Anthony Camara - Phillip Danault - Tom Wilson; Francis Beauvillier
White: Charles Hudon - Ryan Strome - Brett Ritchie; Daniel Catenacci - Boone Jenner - Ty Rattie; Sean Monahan - Tyler Graovac - Mark McNeill; Hunter Shinkaruk
White: Morgan Rielly - Dougie Hamilton; Tyler Wotherspoon - Frank Corrado; Griffin Reinhart - Mathew Dumba
Red: Scott Harrington - Xavier Ouellet; Adam Pelech - Ryan Murphy; Derrick Pouliot - Ryan Sproul