With the Stanley Cup playoffs in full swing, voting has concluded on nominations for the various NHL player awards, to be handed out June 18 in Las Vegas.
Will Washington Capitals star left-winger Alex Ovechkin repeat as Hart Trophy recipient as the league's most valuable player after leading his team to a third-place finish in the Eastern Conference and the NHL with 56 goals?
Can Detroit Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom capture the Norris Trophy as top defenceman for the seventh time? Only Bobby Orr (eight) and Doug Harvey (seven) have won the award more times. Lidstrom's 59 points trailed the totals of only Washington's Mike Green (73) and Montreal's Andrei Markov (64).
The three finalists for each award will be announced over the next few days, starting Wednesday with the Calder Trophy for top rookie. Columbus Blue Jackets goalie Steve Mason, Los Angeles Kings defenceman Drew Doughty, Anaheim Ducks right-winger Bobby Ryan and Chicago Blackhawks left-winger Kris Versteeg are among the candidates.
Mason might also be considered for the Vezina Trophy as the NHL's top netminder. The Oakville, Ont., native led the Blue Jackets to their first playoffs in franchise history, topping all goalies with 10 shutouts and finishing second in goals-against average (2.29).
Ed Belfour was the last goalie to win both the Vezina and Calder trophies, achieving the feat with the Blackhawks in 1992.
Below is a list of the awards and release date of nominations:
- Calder Memorial Trophy (top rookie) — April 22.
- James Norris Memorial Trophy (top defenceman) — April 23.
- Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (skill/sportsmanship) — April 24.
- Vezina Trophy (top goaltender) — April 27.
- Frank J. Selke Trophy (top defensive forward) — April 28.
- Hart Memorial Trophy (most valuable player) — April 29.
- Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy (perseverance, dedication to hockey) — April 30.
- Jack Adams Award (coach of the year) — May 1.
- NHL Foundation Player Award (contributions to charitable causes) — May 4.